Upload These Into Your Brain

Summer reading is one of the season's luxuries; tucked away under a tree in a park, on the dock at the cottage, in a highly air conditioned space while the heat and humidity reign like wildfire outdoors. Wherever your nook, it's an indulgence in our fast paced lives and a much needed part of modern self-care practice. It is a vital part of my existence and I can easily complete a couple books a week when I find ones that interest me. (TBH, I'll even finish an awful book just so I know what I hate about it) After all, your computer isn't the only thing that needs to have constant uploads.

Here's what I read this past week:

This a fantastic reference on the history of Queer art from around the world, small enough to carry around and generous with imagery, it's perfect for languid afternoons. It's like visiting several museums in one sitting. It's written by Alex Pilcher, who works at the Tate in London.



Edward Behr takes you on a journey with this anthology of scrumptious foods. Each food has its own chapter and he goes into full detail from how to buy, store, prepare and eat said foods. THEN, he has wine pairing suggestions. Each chapter is 4-6 pages long, so if you're one of those people who proclaims not to have time to read, honestly, you could take on chapter by chapter without a major time commitment and finish the book by September.  If you love food, I highly recommend this read. 


Carrie Brownstein is a weirdo and dammit, I like it. As a founding member of 90's indie-punk band Sleater Kinney, Carrie regales her story from childhood to rockhood to Portlandia fame with Fred Armisen. I'm not a Sleater Kinney fan per se, but I am a Brownstein fan. Her writing is at times endearing, at times raw and open but always honest and funny. This is a great book for the cottage, which I pretended to be at while I was in my living room as I read it. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago, See....

There is An End!

St.Clair West Style