Smells Like Teen Spirit...

I think about scents to the point of obsession. I'm so sensitive to smell; mine, yours, theirs, that food, wine, place, flower, shampoo and of course, perfume. The power of scent is loaded with the past, the present and the possibilities of what could be and the various emotions that are along for the ride. But the scents of our youth are hardly what we would spritz on our adult selves and that evolution, albeit a personal one, is still a fascinating exercise. Try it yourself for a fragrant trip down memory lane. 

Here is my personal timeline of scents:

The 80's
This was the decade of discovery; sneaking into my mother's extensive collection of perfumes and eau de toilettes in her bedroom when she wasn't looking, which really didn't matter because she would smell the guilt on me. From Chanel no.5, White Diamonds, Poison to Opium, Shalimar, all the CK scents and numerous mystery bottles from Europe, I spent this decade damaging everyone's olfactory systems, including my own.

Smells Like Teen Spirit
When you start to have your own money, price point becomes the key driver to ALL of your purchases. Back then the best scents value wise were at the Body Shop in the form of perfume essential oils that looked like this:



My go to  were Coconut Oil (I thought made me smell "beach cool") and sometimes Vanilla Oil (which made me smell like cake which I though boys liked).  Insert eye roll here: Youth really is wasted on the young. However, the perfume oil still stands the test of time; oils are longer lasting and do not contain alcohol as most commercial perfumes do. 

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon
My father bought me Coco Mademoiselle as a present in my early 20's and it became my signature scent for the next decade. It's still in my present roster, but rotated towards dinners out and special occasions. I also wear it to negotiate anything in life, mostly at work. It's the smell I have always worn with confidence and associated with strength and class.  

Power of Love
Jo Malone makes some of the best perfumes on the market today. It's Pomegrante Noir is the smell of leadership and can be worn by both men and women. This powerful scent is always complimented by everyone when I wear it. People just love it. The 1oz. size is small enough to toss into your purse and passes through customs like a boss (perfect travel size!) 
-xo






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago, See....

There is An End!

St.Clair West Style