It's A Family Affair





Tunirrusiangit: Kenojuak Ashevak and Tim Pitsiulak


As the heat waves ebb and flow over the city, I focus on cultural pit stops to break up my cycling sessions as well as try to minimize my exposure to the sun. Nothing beats the air-conditioning hiatus after a hard workout. I'll cover the usual suspects this summer: AGO, ROM, the HarbourFront Centre. Feel free to leave a comment if there are other indoor events in Toronto that I should check out! Here's what is currently happening at the AGO:



Inuit art this powerful requires a thorough examination: I have already seen this exhibit three times since its opening and each time am struck with its beauty, mystery and weight.

Ashevak, known as the “grandmother of Inuit art”, is famous for her use of seamless graphic storytelling and a penchant for using magic markers. It’s her stonecut work that I found myself captivated by time and time again. Her affinity for owls is translated gracefully onto paper.





Ashevak’s nephew, Tim Pitsiulak, was heavily influenced by his aunt but his visual stories take a more technical and realist approach and offer a modern look at Inuit life. His larger pieces are breathtaking.





Tunirrusiangit is Inuktitut for “their gifts” or “the gift they gave”, which these artworks feel like. Be sure to catch this extraordinary exhibit before it closes. 
View the exhibit at The Art Gallery of Ontario from June 16-to-August 12, 2018.
-xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago, See....

There is An End!

St.Clair West Style